Monday, March 21, 2011

Adventure Reversal

"Adventure Reversal"

By: Katherine Elizabeth Ancil

While sitting, gathered in church 14 year old Lucy with pigtails on both sides chuckled when

she saw Jeremy, the cute, yet naughty boy getting scolded by his mother. Lucy was anything

but an ordinary girl, she seeked adventure and one day she believed that that would happen.

Until then, she had to be polite, respectful and mature while her father and mother were

watching. After the sermon, Jeremy made his way through the crowd to find Lucy. Jeremy was

fond of Lucy, her bright blue eyes and her rosy cheeks; she was everything a guy would ever

want.

“Lucy!” shouted Jeremy shouted while departing the sanctuary.

Lucy, kind of puzzled but also flattered replied, “Can I help you?” with a giggle.

“Yes, you can. My father just told me that I can take one of my ‘church friends’ with me to

go camping at Woodman’s Creek and it would be awesome if you could come. Don’t worry

about asking your parents, I already have their permission. It’s all up to you!”

“I would love to” replied Lucy anxiously.

“Sweet! Me and my family will pick you up around seven o’ clock tonight! See you then!”

“Come on, Lucy,” wailed William, her 5 year old baby-like brother. “I am hungry!”

“William, quite your wining, oh, what do you know, here is mother and father with the car.”

As the hours went by, Lucy’s heart raced as she was packing her bags and getting prepared

for her journey with Jeremy’s family, the Coleys. Finally, Lucy was all ready to go when she

heard a knock on her bedroom door. It was her mother. Lucy admired her mother and longed

to be like her when she was older.

“Honey” Lucy’s mother said with a comforting voice. “You might not be aware but I know you

have wanted an adventure and you have this time, enjoy babe and I love you.”

“Love you too, mom!”

“I see head-lights, they must be here!”

“Wow, I can’t believe this is happening to me,” exclaimed Lucy as she skipped out of her

room and down the hall to the door. Lucy’s father was talking to Mr. Coley about politics as

usual.

“Hi Mr. Coley!” shouted Lucy as she was heading toward the camper.

“Hi darling,” replied Mr. Coley as he was giving last hugs to Lucy’s parents. “Are you

excited?”

“I am super excited,” shouted Lucy in her sing-songy voice when she was nervous and

excited at the same time.

Then Jeremy rushed over and said, “Lucy, let me take your bags, you can hop into the

camper,” as he took Lucy’s belongings into the U-Haul behind the camper.

“Thank you, Jeremy” replied Lucy hopping into the camper. Lucy’s heart began to race again,

she could not believe her first adventure was taking place. After what seemed like forever,

Jeremy hopped in beside Lucy and closed the door shut.

While buckling his seat belt, Mr. and Mrs. Coley yelled simultaneously,

“All in with seat belts fastened?”

“Yes,” replied Lucy, Jeremy and Jesabell in unison.

Jesabell, was Jeremy’s older sister, that had a baggage of attitude but was nice when it was

in her favor. When the hour struck seven, Lucy’s stomach began to rumble. Jeremy, since he

was sitting next to her said,

“Are you hungry?” Lucy, not wanting to sound rude said “A little bit,” while inside thinking

it’s about time!!!

“Dad, are there any restaurants nearby?”

His father replied, “We were just thinking it would be a good idea to stop. Poor Lucy isn’t used

to dinners at this late hour.” Soon after, they pulled into a Culvers restaurant and ordered their

meals with to-go sundaes. Then, they headed back for the road, hoping to arrive at Woodman’s

Creek by sunshine the next morning.

Finally, Jeremy, his family, and Lucy arrived at Woodman’s Creek just as the sun began to rise

in the distance.

“We are here and on time!” exclaimed Mr. Coley while exiting the car and hopping into the

camper. “Jeremy, show Lucy around, will ya?”

“Okay, Dad, come on Lucy, lets embark on a new adventure!” The two teenagers ran off into

the morning sunshine with dew dripping down their bare legs.

After walking in silence, Lucy said,

“This camp is amazing, do you know any hidden passage ways, Jeremy?”

Jeremy with a big smile said, “You know, I was hoping you would ask!” So Jeremy led Lucy

behind the fire pit to an unseen world. A world that was peaceful. A world that was gorgeous.

This was the world that Lucy had been dreaming about and now she was there anticipating

adventure.

“Hey, Jeremy,” Lucy questioned while sitting on a log with a gentle cushion of moss.

“Yes?” Jeremy answered in a questioning response.

“I always thought that you were naughty and rude.”

“Well?” Jeremy interrupted, wanting her to get to the point.

“I guess I have just seen you differently here. If I may ask, which one are you?”

Jeremy not knowing how to respond to this muttered,

“I am usually this way, however, I have been under some stress recently.”

“Stress?” replied Lucy, “From what?”

“My guy friends mostly, I mean friends can be so good but I hate it when there is tension and

revenge. You know competition to be the best. I guess you are bringing me back to the good

Jeremy, the Jeremy that matters, the Jeremy that is forgetting about those friends and the

frustration and living in a new moment.”

“I agree,” said Lucy. “It can ruin a friendship, I have been there too,” she admitted.

After Lucy and Jeremy were honest and spoke one-on-one their friendship was

strengthened.

Then, through the fog, Jeremy heard something growling. He knew it wasn’t right. He quickly,

yet gently grabbed Lucy’s hand and said,

“Come with me.”

Lucy trusted Jeremy and without hesitation, she said,

“I will.”

They both ran, hand-in-hand when suddenly something was behind Jeremy. It was a full

grown, hungry as a dinosaur cave bear. This cave bear was ravenous and was interested in his

prey. Lucy’s throat began to ache from the running, her throat felt like someone was rubbing

old, bumpy sand paper on it. She could hear her heart pumping inside her chest and then

everything went black. She collapsed. Jeremy turned around just in time to see the ferocious

cave bear dashing towards them at a great pace. Jeremy swiftly grabbed Lucy in his arms and

ran to a tree to seek shelter. Just before Jeremy reached the tree he tripped over an old tree

trunk and he too, collapsed to the damp, earthy wood’s floor. Lucy suddenly became conscious

because of Jeremy’s fall. Both her and Jeremy, bruised and tired hid behind a big bush. The

hungry bear had lost sight of Lucy and Jeremy and chose to eat a few nutritious black berries

instead. Suddenly, Jeremy heard a growl, he turned around, only to find a tiny, ten-pound-or-

so fox panting with puppy-like eyes with a grin. They did a relived and exhausted laugh. Both

of the frightened teenagers took a great gasp of air and fell in to a quiet and restful sleep.

Lucy’s eyes began to flutter as she smelled hot dogs roasting on the bonfire. When

Jeremy saw Lucy was awake, he said, “Are you feeling well, beautiful Lucy?”

Lucy’s face blushed and a big grin took over her face and replied, “Yes, yes, I am.”

“That’s awesome!” said Jeremy. “Apparently my parents searched every nook and crany of

the woods and then found us dead as mice and carried us back to the campsite.”

“Wow, really? At least they found us, or else we would be waking up there!” Then Jesabell

shouted, “I helped too. Jeesh, Jeremyo you need to start telling stories more accurately.”

“Sorry, princess Jesabell.” “Ready to come next year for another adventure?” They both

chuckled, “Jeremy,” Lucy said, “You risked your life for me, how could I ever----“

“No need to,” Jeremy interrupted, “I am glad and honored that I could risk my life for you.”

Jeremy embraced Lucy with strong affectionate arms and Lucy replied “And to think that, I

thought you were a naughty boy in church.”


2 comments:

  1. Is this your short story??? If so, I like it.. a lot!!! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! It is indeed, my short story!!
    Glad you like it! Yours is excellent as well! <3

    ReplyDelete